Thursday, March 17, 2011

Movie Review: Battle Los Angeles, Oorah!

Well, I have to say. I love alien invasion movies. Some are plain hilarious and poorly done (recent example: Skyline) while others scare me so bad I can't sleep. Then there's Independence Day, which is just friggen awesome because it's fun and the aliens are fantastic. And who doesn't wish Bill Pullman would run for President?

Battle: Los Angeles Screenshot
Regardless, Battle: Los Angeles is a whole new kind of alien movie for me. There was an actual plot that was incredibly believable. There weren't any crazy one-liners or ridiculous personalities. The movie dealt with families and the military, more specifically the United States Marine Corps. It's the story of survival, a small group of Marines and cilvilians working together to escape a dangerous and seemingly impossible situation, taking risks, feeling afraid and helpless, sacrificing and so forth. It was a war movie, that's what it was - with aliens.

For once, the aliens were not at the forefront of the movie - they were a problem, yes, but the human characters were so much more prominent and I honestly worried for them. The aliens were almost a sidenote. I even cried at one point! Alien movies do not make me cry. Can't say that anymore.

It was Hurt Locker meets War of the Worlds. The flow of the movie was compelling, swift-moving and engaged my emotions more than I ever expected. The acting was pretty good, too. No silliness from the likes of Will Smith here. What the heck, I loved it. Skyline can sit on a pin, Battle: Los Angeles is just too cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate. We're mostly trying to have fun here as well as stir up some thought and debate. Be cool!